Negotiations Update 10-09-2017
The Benicia Unified School District is committed to having a positive bargaining relationship and open communication with our employees and community. We believe it is very important to promote positive dialogue with our employee organizations as we negotiate employee contracts by sharing information and soliciting input. We value the relationship with our employees and the contributions they make on a daily basis to meet the needs of students.
Listed below is the latest information about negotiations:
- Benicia Teachers Association (BTA) and Benicia Unified School District (BUSD) “sunshined” the initial contract proposals informing our community that we are entering into formal negotiations. Below articles are officially ‘sunshined’ even though the entire Bargaining Contract is open:
- Article 2 – Wages
- Article 3 – Hours
- Article 5 – Health and Welfare Benefits
- Article 6 – Leaves
- Article 7- Extra Duty Hours
- Article 8 – Safety
- Article 9 – Class size
- Article 10 – Department Chairs
- Article 11 – Procedures for Evaluations
- Article 12 – Grievance Procedures
- Article 16 – Peer Assistance and Review
- Article 19 – Organizational Security
- Article 20 – Calendar
- Article 22 NCLB/ESEA
- Article 23 – Duration
- BTA and the District Negotiation Teams met on Thursday, September 21, 2017 to discuss their proposals for a BUSD/BTA Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) to replace the current agreement which expired on June 30, 2017. BTA Negotiations Team agreed with the District Negotiations Team to have a common role of ‘Relator’ to maintain a positive environment during the negotiations meetings. Agreement was not reached between BTA Negotiation Team and BUSD Negotiation Team regarding sending a joint communication regarding negotiation updates. BTA and BUSD Negotiation Teams exchanged proposals on a few articles and will continue to work on the language during the future meetings.
- Next negotiations session is scheduled for Thursday, October 19, 2017.
The District will continue to share negotiation updates with the BUSD and Benicia Community. Thank you!