March 27, 2020
Dear Benicia Families,
We are winding up our eighth day of Distance Learning and want to express our gratitude to all our families, students and staff for your flexibility, adaptability and patience. Our staff has worked very hard to be forerunners in getting Distance Learning up and going for our students. We will continue to refine our instruction during our extended school closure through May 1, 2020.
As we continue to learn about and work in this new learning dimension, we are trying to use reasonableness as a barometer for what we are asking our students and families and staff to do. Throughout the closure, our goal is to reinforce and practice key State Content Standards and concepts taught to this point in our school year. We have asked staff that any new content taught should be viewed through the lens of being critical and essential for students in their grade level, or subject area class. We are being mindful of the amount of content and time we are asking kids and families to work as many of you are juggling working from home, parenting, and now supporting your child’s learning.
To support our families and staff as we enter an extended Distance Learning timeframe we are:
- Dedicating Wednesday, April 1 as a Professional Planning Day for teachers to determine the key concepts/standards and pacing that students must learn through the end of this year. Your children can continue to work on schoolwork, but teachers will not be available that day.
- Strongly encouraging all families and staff to unplug and take a true break during April 6 – 10: Spring Break.
- Dedicating Monday, April 13 as a Non-student day to provide an additional day of Professional Planning for teachers.
- Resuming Distance Learning for students Tuesday, April 14.
- Dedicating Each Friday after break (April 17, 24 & May 1) as Professional Planning Days for staff to support planning and collaboration. Your children can continue to work on schoolwork, but teachers will not be available these days.
We greatly appreciate your partnership knowing this is a challenging time for our society. I sincerely hope all is well in each and everyone of your households.
Dr. Charles Young