Benicia Unified School District

New Student Enrollment

Welcome, New Families to Benicia Unified!

BUSD welcomes all new families to the school district and we want to make enrollment as efficient as possible.  BUSD is a welcoming and inclusive environment for all students. New student enrollment for 2024-2025 begins on February 1st of each school year for grade levels TK – 12 and continues throughout the school year.

Students who turn 5 between September 2 and June 2 will be eligible to enroll in TK. Enrollment is for Benicia residents only. If you are interested in Pre K options please visit the Preschool & Child Development page.

  • Please go to the Inter-District Transfer tab for information on enrollment for students who reside outside of the District.
  • Students must turn 5 by September 1st to enroll in Kindergarten and must turn 5 between September 2 and April 2 to enroll in Transitional Kindergarten. These dates are firm and exceptions are not considered. 
  • Elementary parents can find the site where the enrollment will take place by going to the section “What school will my child attend?” under the parent tab. 
  • There is no guarantee that your student will attend that school, but early enrollment (in February) does assist with the process.
  • If you want your student to attend an elementary school that is not your resident school, please apply for Open Enrollment during the month of March. Please go to the Open Enrollment tab for more information.

The new student enrollment process involves a number of steps and requires that various documents be presented.  Please read the “Requirements For Enrollment” and fill out the enrollment form linked below for your student(s) for the upcoming school year. It is of the utmost importance that ALL of the enrollment documents be gathered and submitted at ONE time in order for the enrollment to be considered completed. This can all be done via email or a phone appointment can be made directly with the school site that your student will be attending.

Requirements For Enrollment

1) ADDRESS VERIFICATION – (Parent must have 2 of the following to verify identity and residence)

  • Current Mortgage, Rental/Lease Agreement, Purchase Contract, or Payment Receipts
  • Current Utility Service Contract, Statement, or Payment Receipts
  • Property Tax Payment Receipts
  • Pay Stubs; Voter Registration; Correspondence from a Government Agency; or
  • Notarized Declaration of Residency (executed by the parent/guardian or custodian of minor)

2) PROOF OF AGE – (Executed by parent/guardian or custodian of minor)
Certified copy of birth record; statement by local registrar or a county recorder certifying the date of birth; baptism certificate; passport; or notarized affidavit of birth.

3) IMMUNIZATION REQUIREMENTS FOR SCHOOL ENTRY – (Listing the month, day and year the vaccines were received)
Immunizations are required at the time of school enrollment for all students entering school TK/K through 12th grades.  Please find the California state requirements at

4) CURRENT IEP or 504 PLAN – (If Applicable)


6) ORAL HEALTH ASSESSMENT – (This requirement is due by May 31st of your child’s first year in school)
This requirement is due by May 31st of your child’s first year in school. An oral health assessment form must be completed by a dentist or other licensed or registered dental health professional and turned into the school office. Assessments that have been done within 12 months of your child entering school meet this requirement.

The form titled “Oral Health Assessment Form” can be found below in the “Important Documents” section.

7) PHYSICIAN’S STATEMENT OF PHYSICAL EXAM (CHDP) – (This requirement is due by November of your child’s First Grade year)
This requirement is due by November of your child’s First Grade year. A Report of Health Examination must be filled out by a licensed physician and indicate a TB test/risk assessment was completed. We will only accept exams done after age 4 years 3 months.

The form titled “Physician’s Statement of Physical Exam Form” can be found below in the “Important Documents” section.

8) LANGUAGE SURVEY – (If a language other than English is spoken at home and student meets any of the below requirements, a home language survey will be filled out as part of the enrollment form)

  • All New Students to the US
  • All New TK Students (who have not attended a public school in California)
  • All New Kindergarten Students(who have not attended a public school in California)
  • Any grade level student that has only attended a private school or has never attended a public school in California

Please call your school of residency in order to follow the proper enrollment procedures set by the schools. Enrollments will not be done in person or without all of the documents needed being submitted at one time. Do not submit any enrollment documents without contacting your school first. School contact information can found below.

(Does not apply to Foster Youth and/or students under the McKinney Vento Act)

Important Documents

Contact Info

High School / Middle School Contact Info

Benicia High School

Jane Uggla


Benicia Middle School

Sue Wing


Elementary School Contact Info

Mary Farmar

Anita Carcamo

Office Manager

Matthew Turner

Ilse Cordova

Office Manager

Robert Semple

Vicki Zimmer

Office Manager

Joe Henderson

Uilani Osborne

Office Manager

Health Services Contact Info

Michelle Dilello

Assistant Director of Health Services

Kasey Flores

Health Services Specialist