BUSD Child Development Unit (CDU)
The Benicia Unified School District Child Development Unit (CDU) offers a broad range of programs to meet the needs of the children and families in Benicia. We operate a STEM before and after school program at our Benicia Middle School and there are Pre-Kindergarten programs along with before and after school enrichment programs at all our Elementary schools. We also operate an income eligible subsidized State Preschool and before and after school program at Robert Semple Elementary. Our Stepping Stones Parent Participation program is held at Joe Henderson Elementary.
The program for pre-kindergarten children is based on a developmental approach. That is, the curriculum and teaching strategies are both age and individually appropriate for the children we serve. The program’s activities are chiefly child-directed. The program provides a variety of activities and experiences that promote social-emotional, cognitive, language, physical and creative development of young children. Each child is given the opportunity for understanding oneself and others.
The program for school-age children serves as a bridge between home and school. It provides a balance of educational, social and recreational opportunities, an environment that is safe and structured, and activities that are conducive to all children in a fun, playful way School-age care programs exist for the purpose of promoting, nurturing, supporting and enhancing all areas of children’s development. All children are individuals of equal worth and value who come to the program at their own developmental level and bring with them a unique mixture of family background, language and culture, personality and learning style.
Monday, Wednesday, Friday
Preschool with Extended Care
Based on 12 month program, 6:30 am- 6:30 pm
Monday-Friday @ $825 per month
Monday, Wednesday, Friday
- 10% Sibling Discount
- 3 & 4 year old must be potty trained
Robert Semple Elementary only
- State Preschool AM session- 8:30 am – 11:30 am
- State preschool PM session-12:30 pm- 3:30 pm
- State Preschool (full day) 7:00 am – 6:00 pm
- These programs are available to low income families who meet the eligibility criteria determined by the State. A full-cost child care and pre-kindergarten program is available in full day only, on a limited basis to families with the economic ability to pay.
School Age Programs
Kindergarten children: $28.00/day
Grades 1-5: Monday-Thursday $26.00/day and Friday $28.00/day
Siblings – 10% discount. Morning Care: $15/day. One Hour Only or less PM: $10/day
Drop-in Care is $30.00 per day and must be used through a prepaid card bought from the CDU office or the child care teacher before care can be provided
- For the 2017-18 school year: Children who turn five years of age between September 2 and December 2 are eligible for TK. BUSD currently offers TK programs at Robert Semple, Matthew Turner, and Joe Henderson Elementary schools.
- Enrollment for the 2017-18 school year begins February 1, 2017, at your home elementary school.
Enrollment for the TK program is in the Spring during the kindergarten enrollment period. Contact June Regis with questions.