New Student Enrollment
BUSD welcomes all new families to the school district and we want to make enrollment as painless as possible.
The school enrollment process involves a number of steps and requires that various documents be presented. Steps 1 through 4 in the process must be completed before a student is considered “fully enrolled”. Call the individual school site for an appointment to present these documents. Unfortunately, enrollment can not be done on a walk-in basis. The sites are closed in the summer for the month of July. Elementary parents can find the site where the enrollment will take place by going to the section “What school will my child attend?” under the parent tab. There is no guarantee that your student will attend that school, please read the information under the tab: Open Enrollment and Overflow. Site phone numbers: Mary Farmar 747-8350 · Robert Semple 747-8360 · Joe Henderson 747-8370 · Matthew Turner 747-8390 · Benicia Middle 748-2814 · Benicia High School 747-8334.
Students must turn 5 by September 1st to enroll in Kindergarten and must turn 5 between September 2 and December 2 to enroll in Transitional Kindergarten.
Documents required for enrollment:
- AGE VERIFICATION: One of the following is required to verify age and identity:
- Current Passport
- Birth Certificate: Original and Certified
- VERIFICATION OF RESIDENCY in the Benicia Unified School District:
State law requires that public schools verify student residence. Board Policy number 5111, 5111.1, and 5111.2 of the Benicia Unified School District and Education Code 48204.6 provide that evidence of residency be submitted for each student desiring to attend schools within the district.
As evidence of residency within the Benicia Unified School District at a minimum, three documents will be required: These must be originals, the clerk will make a copy and sticky notes or marker can be used to cover private information, such as price or other financial information.One document from Category 1 and one document from Category 2 and one document from Category 3.
Category 1: Provide ONE of the following:
- Current passport
- Current Driver’s License- w/ current address
- Current CA ID
- Current Military ID
(ID showing current Benicia Address, may have 30 days if just recently moved)
Category 2: Provide ONE of the following
- Grant Deed/Mortgage Coupon to property of residence with imprinted parent name and address
- Current property tax bill with imprinted parent/guardian name and address
- Rental/Lease Agreement (must be an original and Manager cannot be a relative)
- Rental/Lease Agreement should include the following information:
- Parent/Guardian name (s)
- Indication that children will reside (names or number of children)
- Manager or owner’s name and phone number
Category 3: Provide ONE item from the following list
- State or Federal Tax return with current imprinted label with parent/guardian name and address filed within the past 12 months with W-2 form attached
- Payroll check stub with imprinted name and address of parent/guardian
- Other form of identification or correspondence from a government agency or utility company or bank statement
(A notarized letter will be required for families living with relatives, along with all required documentation. The form will be supplied by the site registrar at the time of enrollment along with instructions.)
NOTE: Unannounced home visitations by a district residency verification officer may be conducted on an on-going basis during the student’s attendance in BUSD schools. If the Superintendent or designee, upon investigation, has determined that a student’s enrollment is based on false evidence, he/she shall revoke the student’s enrollment. The District may request verification of residency at any time.
3. VERIFICATION OF REQUIRED IMMUNIZATIONS/Completion of Ca. Sch. Immun. Record:
Upon entrance to the district, every student must have an up-to-date immunization record supported by written documentation from a physician. New legislation (SB 277) states that, as of January 1, 2016, personal belief exemptions for state-mandated immunizations will no longer be accepted when registering students for school. Parents who choose not to immunize their student for school have the option of home schooling or an independent study program. More information about SB 277 is available at shotsforschool.org. Children lacking one or more required vaccine doses but not currently due for a dose may be admitted conditionally. Documentation that remaining doses have been received will be required. If all conditions are not met, then students will be excluded from school attendance.Required Immunizations:
- Polio 3 doses
- DTP 4 doses
(The last immunization in these 2 series must be given after the age of 4 or an additional dose is required.)
- MMR 2 doses
- Hepatitis B 3 doses
- Varicella (Chicken Pox) for all Kindergarten students and out of state entrants at all grades
Required doses will be checked by the registrar.
4. ENROLLMENT INFORMATION FORM: Complete all sections of the form.
Submit Later as Indicated:
A. Report of Health Examination for School Entry: Provide signed form from doctor or proof of appointment.
(Required for entry into 1st grade but encouraged for kindergarten)
B. Placement Understanding Form: Needed for all Elementary enrollments.
C. Oral Health Assessment or Waiver: Provide signed form from dentist or waiver form or proof of appointment.
(Required for first year in public school)
Steps 1 through 4 must be completed and required documentation provided before a student can be considered “fully enrolled”.