Intradistrict Open EnrollmentEnrolling in a school other than your neighborhood school & Overflow
Open Enrollment is a once a year process for “In District” school transfers and affords parents/guardians the opportunity to request an elementary school other than their neighborhood school or current school of attendance within the Benicia Unified School District.
The process is only open in the Spring between March 1st – 31st of each year for the upcoming school year. During that time the parent is able to fill out their request in the linked form when it is opened on March 1st. The request must be made by March 31st for it to be considered and is strictly based on space availability. Approval of transfer applications is reviewed later in the Spring. Students with siblings will be considered first in this process.
By policy, our goal is for every student to attend his or her school of residence, often referred to as the neighborhood school. Attendance boundaries for each district school have been established by the Board of Education. These boundaries are periodically reviewed and adjusted to provide for such changes as the opening of new schools. Most students in the district attend their neighborhood school. There are some situations in which students attend schools other than their school of residence. These include:
- Transitional Kindergarten which is located at only certain elementary sites.
- Schools that do not have enough room in a grade level to accommodate all students living within the boundary of that school. When this occurs, students are placed on a waitlist at their resident school and assigned, or overflowed, to another school. This situation occurs for a number of reasons: Rapid growth in student enrollment at a particular school and/or turnover of housing in existing neighborhoods, classes in a grade level have reached capacity limits or overflow of resident students from prior years. Class size in the district is bound by California Department of Education regulations and by class size limits contracted with the Benicia Teachers Association (teachers’ union).
- Families choose for their student(s) to attend another school.
What happens after the Open Enrollment application has been submitted?
There is no guarantee of placement through the Open Enrollment process. Open Enrollment applications are accommodated if there is space available in the requested grade at the requested school. All applications received are placed on the list under a “pending” status and transfers are offered as space becomes available. Transfers are granted for individual students by school, by grade, and not by family.
If school personnel have told you that the school is fully enrolled at your child’s grade level, you will be placed on a waitlist. As school staff account for students not returning in the fall or if space becomes available during the year, waitlist students are called back to the resident school in the order they appear on the waitlist. While on the waitlist, the district will overflow students to another district school making every effort to place at the nearest available school. You will have the option for your child to remain at that overflowed school through the fifth grade or return to the neighborhood school. Students remain on the waitlist until they are called back or make the decision to remain at the overflowed school. All communication with parents regarding school placement will be handled through the resident school office.
Please keep in mind:
- Students must be enrolled (or pre-enrolled) in their neighborhood or current school of attendance before an Open Enrollment application will be considered.
- Families must notify their neighborhood school of any changes to their address, email or phone number that occur after submission of the Open Enrollment application.
- Applications must be submitted via online by 4:00 p.m. on March 31st.
We understand and apologize for the inconvenience overflow may cause you and your family. Feel free to contact Georgina Martinez at firstname.lastname@example.org or any school office for more information. Thank you for your understanding.
Email Address: email@example.com
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Email Address: email@example.com