BUSD Update- Parents/Guardians
Damon J. Wright, Ed.D Superintendent of Schools
September 26, 2022
Be Kind Community
- WEEK ONE (October 1-9): See Someone Say Something
- Foster interpersonal skills by encouraging eye contact, greetings, and conversation.
- WEEK TWO (October 10-16): Pay It Forward
- Create a positive culture through random acts of kindness.
- WEEK THREE (October 17-23): Serve a Servant
- Show appreciation for those that provide service to us.
- WEEK FOUR (October 24-31): Kindness Card
- Provide written words of encouragement through kindness cards.
You can find additional information regarding the “be kind community” on the website linked here: https://bekind.city
Loitering in Southampton Shopping Center
The Benicia Unified School District and the Benicia Police Department will address unwarranted loitering in the Southampton Shopping Center on Friday afternoons. The District has received multiple reports of students misbehaving, thus impacting local businesses. Reports included:
- students riding skateboards and scooters inside of local stores,
- multiple fights,
- students destroying products in the store and running away,
- students using inappropriate language toward business employees when confronted.
These behaviors described above do not reflect the characteristics of the BUSD Ideal Graduate, and the District will not tolerate them. BUSD and BPD will meet this week and identify strategies to address the disturbances. We also ask our parents /guardians to remind their children to refrain from visiting the shopping center unless they are patrons of the local businesses. If students visit the shopping center as consumers, we expect them to behave respectfully and responsibly.
The BUSD values our relationships with our educational partners and aims to resolve concerns swiftly should they arise. If grievances arise, the District encourages the complainant to resolve their concern with the employee before escalating the matter to a formal complaint. Governing Board policy, 1312.1: Complaints Concerning District Employees, states, “Every effort should be made to resolve complaints regarding district employees at the earliest possible stage. Any person who complains about a district employee shall be encouraged to resolve the matter informally through direct communication with the employee whenever possible.”
BUSD Equity Statement
National Hispanic Heritage Month
- Mango, Abuela and Me,
- The Pinata that the Farm Maiden Hung, Bright Star,
- Abuela and I Make Flan,
- The Palatero Man,
- If Dominican Were a Color,
- and Frida Kahlo and Her Animalitos.